URSU Health &
To help University of Regina students pay for the health services they need, URSU has partnered with Gallivan in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically to fill the gaps in the provincial health care system (Saskatchewan Health Authority) and other basic healthcare programs.
URSU members who are taking 9 or more credits as undergraduate students (or taking 6 or more credits as graduate/ PhD students) in the Fall semester are automatically enrolled into the program. (*If you have “full-time” status with fewer than 9 or 6 credits, the health & dental fees WILL NOT be included in your tuition. You need to enroll as well if needed.)
You are NOT automatically enrolled in the Fall Semester and might be able to opt-in if:
- You are in maintenance status, or
- You start school in the Winter semester, or
- You are not a full-time student (part-time undergraduate students who are taking fewer than 9 Fall semester credit hours or fewer than 6 credits as graduate students or practicum students), or
- You opted out of the coverage permanently before, or
- You are a Co-op student, or
- You are enrolled in the ATP or ARP programs, or
- You are a student considered full-time with less than 9 credits but have an accommodation letter from the Student Accessibility Centre
Please check your student financial account to confirm if you have been charged the ‘Health Fee’ and the ‘Dental Fee’.
The Plan fee for full-year coverage (September 1, 2022 – August 31, 2023) is $218.50. The breakdown is $98.30 for health coverage and $120.20 for dental coverage.
The Plan fee for students who enroll in the Winter semester (January 1, 2023 – August 31, 2023) is $145.45. The breakdown is $65.32 for health coverage and $80.13 for dental coverage.
The cost of the Plan is part of your student fees if you are automatically covered. For winter enrolment fees and family add-on fees, please check the enrollment page.
Sept. 1, 2023 – Aug. 31, 2024
Yes. Please find the particulars of your situation in the following:
For the Fall Semester:
If you are covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (e.g. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan, treaty card, not Saskatchewan Health), you can either combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage, or you can opt-out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan entirety.
If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enroll yourself, your spouse, and/or your dependent children in the Plan. Please pay attention to the deadline on the website: September 28, 2023 is the Fall opt-in/out deadline.
For the Winter Semester:
Only new students starting in the Winter Semester (or students who take the previous Fall Semester off and return in the winter) can enroll themselves and their spouse and/or dependent children for coverage from January 1st, 2024 – August 31th, 2024.
If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enroll yourself, your spouse, and/or your dependent children in the Plan. Please pay attention to the deadline on the website: January 30th, 2024 is the Winter opt-in deadline.
*New students who start in Spring/ Summer Semester will need to wait until the coming Fall semester to get coverage.
Among other benefits, the Plan covers:
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs
- The services of paramedical practitioners are reimbursed $40 per visit. Each service has an overall plan maximum of $300 (massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- The services of a registered psychologist or qualified social worker are covered at 80%, to a combined annual maximum of $400 per benefits year, based on reasonable and customary charges per visit.
- Your plan covers 100% of the cost of the following vision care expenses:
- Eye exams up to $50 every 2 years.
- Glasses/Contact Lenses up to $100 every 2 years.
- Laser eye surgery up to $150 per benefit year.
- Up to $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- Travel health coverage (up to $5,000,000 per incident, 120 days per trip), trip cancellation and trip interruption in the event of a medical emergency (COVID19 test fee is not included)
Visit mystudentplan.ca for complete details.
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Physiotherapy, and Massage Therapy Networks. You are covered for the insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 20% off dental services. Visit mystudentplan.ca for more information.