URSU Health & Dental Plan
To help University of Regina students pay for the health services they need, URSU has partnered with Studentcare in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically to fill the gaps in provincial health care (Saskatchewan Health) and other basic health-care programs.
Most URSU members and First Nations University of Canada (FNUniv) students who are taking 9 or more undergraduate or graduate Fall semester credit hours (including students on practicum, off campus students, and most co-op students) should be automatically covered. Students taking fewer than 9 Fall semester credit hours may have to opt-in to the program.
Many exceptions exist. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the ‘Health and Dental fee’. Part-time students and new Winter semester students are not automatically enrolled. If you were not automatically enrolled, students may self enroll only during the change-of-coverage period (see below).
This insurance includes:
– Students on practicum
– Students enrolled in off-campus courses (such as Social Work students and First Nations University students studying in Saskatoon and Prince Albert)
– Co-op students who start a new work term in September or in the middle of a work term in September are not automatically covered by the Health & Dental Plan. However, you have the option to opt-in during the Change-of-Coverage period (September 1-September 30). For more information, please call Care Centre at 1-866-358-4432, Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm, or visit their website at studentcare.ca.
Certain exceptions exist. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the Plan fees.
The following students may be eligible to enrol themselves in the Plan:
- Part-time students (students who are taking fewer than 9 on-campus Fall semester credit hours)
- New Winter semester students
Among other benefits, the Plan covers:
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs
- 80% for vaccinations, up to $150 per policy year
- Over $4,000 for health practitioners (psychologists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $300 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- Travel health coverage (up to $5,000,000 per incident, 120 days per trip), trip cancellation and trip interruption in the event of a medical emergency
Visit www.studentcare.ca for complete details.
This plan is an extended health plan. All students still need to apply for a Saskatchewan health card to cover basic medical services (doctor’s visits, emergency room, etc). Visit www.ehealthsask.ca to apply for a health card.
How Can I Save More?
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Physiotherapy, and Massage Therapy Networks. You are covered for the insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 20% off dental services. Visit www.studentcare.ca for more information.
How Much Does It Cost?
The Plan fee for full-year coverage (Sept. 1, 2019 – Aug. 31, 2020) is $218.50. The breakdown is $93.85 for health coverage and $124.65 for dental coverage. The cost of the Plan is part of your student fees.
Can I Change My Coverage?
If you are covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (e.g. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan, not Saskatchewan Health), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, if you have other equivalent coverage, you can opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan in its entirety during the Change-of-Coverage Period from Sept. 4 – Oct. 1, 2019 and receive a credit to your student account for the amount of the Plan.
If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enrol yourself, your spouse, and/or your dependent children in the Plan. Only new Winter semester students can enrol themselves and their spouse and/or dependent children from Jan. 6 – 31, 2020 for coverage from Jan. 1 – Aug. 31, 2020. Visit www.studentcare.ca for instructions.
Have More Questions?
Information is available online at www.studentcare.ca or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 866 358-4432, Mon. – Fri. from 9 am to 5 pm.