One of the many services that we offer is our URSU Cares Pantry. This valuable service offers food and other necessities to more than 100 students who are facing food insecurity within our campus community. Started in 2016 with the support of Regina Food Bank, this program has flourished and been one of our fastest growing programs. Unfortunately, earlier this fall we were informed that Regina Food Bank will not be able to stock the Pantry as their own supplies are becoming limited. This development is not only heart-breaking for us but more importantly it can be life-altering for all those students who have come to depend on this support from URSU.
That is why we are appealing to you — our campus community — in an effort to keep our Pantry full and our students fed. Look for our blue bins around campus and drop off any donations you can spare. We are looking for non-perishable food, toiletries, and other essentials that we can distribute to students. Financial contributions will also be accepted and can be dropped off at the URSU Member Services Desk located on the second floor of Riddell Centre (RC 221) from Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm.
Membership fee: FREE
Time: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: Multipurpose Room (Riddell Centre 128)
Students who become members of the URSU Cares Pantry program are able to get free groceries and toiletries. Examples of items available include fruits, vegetables, cereal, Kraft Dinner, jams and spreads, bread, canned food, deodorant, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, and a lot more.
Members are asked to take no more than 1 of each item. If there is something specific you’d like to see in the future, let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
Please note that members of the pantry consent to:
- Allowing URSU to contact them via email for any URSU-related programming or services.
- Allowing URSU to approach them for further information when they have used the pantry 10 times. We will ask about your financial situation and needs to make sure that greater help can be offered if required.
Please note that there are new restrictions for the pantry during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Social distancing – Please follow the 2-meter distance marks on the floor when waiting in line, and DO NOT step into the Pantry before volunteers call you in.
- Our volunteers also monitor how food is being handled or touched by students to prevent excess contact.
- All our staff and volunteers will wear medical grade masks. Starting from Sept 1st, the use of masks will become mandatory in all indoor public and shared spaces on our campuses where physical distancing cannot be maintained
- Hand sanitizer will be provided and mandated to all students to use before they pick up the food.
- We ensure all high-touch surfaces are disinfected with Oxivir TB wipes.
- Students enter through the North doors to the multipurpose room and exit through the South doors.
Fall 2020 Dates
- September 9, 24
- October 7, 22
- November 4, 19
- December 2, 17
Winter 2021 Dates
- January 8, 21
- February 5, 25
- March 10, 25
- April 7, 22