Have a say in the future of your Students’ Union by running or voting in the URSU Fall 2017 By-Elections! Take on the job of continuing to steer your SU in a productive and effective direction by making sure the voices of students are heard!
Already got a job and a whole load of classes? You can still represent students and help your fellow URSU members on our Board of Directors or University Council. The time commitment is less but the insight you gain will enhance your education and the input you give can enhance the university experience of others at the U of R, its Federated Colleges and its Satellite Campuses.
The By-Elections are being held to fill the positions on the URSU Board of Directors that were not filled in the Winter 2017 URSU General Election. These positions include:
Board of Directors
• Director for Students with Disabilities
• Fine Arts Students’ Director
• Francophone Students’ Director
• LGBTQ Students’ Director
• Luther College Students’ Director
• Nursing Students’ Director
• Part-time Students’ Director
• Social Work Students’ Director
• Arts – 8 seats available
• Business – 9 seats available
• Education – 8 seats available
• Engineering – 6 seats available
• Fine Arts – 2 seats available
• Kinesiology – 3 seats available
• Nursing – 4 seats available
• Science – 5 seats available
• Social Work – 5 seats available
• Continuing Education – 1 seat available
• Graduate – 9 seats available
Executive of Council
• One position per faculty
Students will only be able to vote for positions in the constituencies that apply to them. All students will still have the chance to vote for executive positions, and a few other general positions. For example:
• If you are a Fine Arts student, vote for the Fine Arts Director
• If you are a Campion student in the Faculty of Arts, vote for the Campion Director AND the Arts Director.
• If you are a Graduate student through Campion College in the Faculty of Arts, vote for the Grad Director, Campion Director, AND Faculty of Arts Director.
The questions on the ballot will say who is eligible to vote for the question. If you vote for a candidate in a constituency that you DO NOT belong to, your vote for this position will be removed from the final count. Only your votes for constituencies that you DO belong to will still remain valid.
Students vote through UR Self-Service.
1. Login using your Student ID # and PIN.
2. Under the Student Services headline, there will be a link to the ballot titled: “URSU By-Elections Fall 2017”
3. Fill in ALL the answers to the Ballot questions (that you are eligible for).
4. Click “Survey Complete” to submit your ballot.
This is the tentative schedule of events and deadlines for the Fall 2017 URSU By-Election. Please note:
• The All Candidates’ URSU Q&A and the All Candidates’ Meeting are for those who are nominated and become candidates.
• The All Candidates’ Forum is for all candidates and for any student who wishes to ask a candidate a question or hear a candidate’s platform.
Nomination Period – Begins Monday, October 2nd at 8:30 a.m. and ends Monday, October 9th at 4:30 p.m.
All Candidates’ URSU Q&A – Tuesday, October 10th 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
All Candidates’ Meeting – Tuesday, October 10th 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Campaign Period – Begins Tuesday, October 10th at 12 a.m. and ends Sunday, October 15th at 11:59 p.m.
Candidate Profile Deadline – Tuesday, October 10th at 4:30 p.m.
All Candidates’ Forum – Thursday, October 12th 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Voting Period – Begins Monday, October 16th at 12 a.m. ends Tuesday, October 17th at 11:59 p.m.
Voting Results Announced – Wednesday, October 18th at 12:00 p.m.